Tuesday, February 03, 2009

CAVING IN SOAPSTONE

Saturday was another adventurous ride in the Uintahs, Dale, Chad, Steve, Joseph and my dad and I all headed into a favorite riding Soapstone Basin. We crossed the majority of the basin before heading back to the truck later in the day, the snow was great and the sun was bright!! As we were heading back crossing open meadow after open meadow skirting around the Lightning Ridge cliff band and heading back west Dale decided he wanted to explore an open pit cave! Well not exactly, as we all crested this little hill coming out of a creek bottom I saw what appeared to be a nice drift to go busting through. Dale was several people back, I went first and saw that it was actually on open pit so I rode on by, my dad right behind me slowed to get a better look and saw how dangerous it would be to get too close and he turned around to wave the others off, Dale had approached from behind my dad and didn’t see his waving in time, Dale drove right into this hole and LUCKLY with the speed he had coming in the snowmobile wedged across the open hole and stopped, Dale fell off to the side, we still cannot figure out how he did not fall off the sled and into this cave…miracle. By the pictures you can tell that we were very lucky in that nobody got hurt or that the sled didn’t get swallowed up in the cave opening. After 2 hours of digging out all the snow to the ground around the sled and with 2 ropes hooked up to the other sleds pulling we got that sled out of there and we were all able to have a great rest of the ride back to the truck, we got back just in time for the sun to go down so no big deal I guess. Enjoy the pictures!

(Don't worry Mandie your sled faired well)
















4 Comments:

Blogger leslie said...

no big deal?! no big deal my butt!! that is freaking scary! i'm glad everyone got out safe... and that it gave you a reason to blog. ;)

Feb 3, 2009, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Dale told Mandie he couldn't see the bottom. How deep do you think it was?

Feb 3, 2009, 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Tian Tian said...

I'm with Les--bring the danger on if it means you'll blog. But really, I'm not one to talk.

Feb 4, 2009, 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger Mandie said...

My dad didn't dare to tell me about this. Jami was the one that broke the news. It was probably a good thing because I asked if my sled was all right before I asked about my dad (he he, I knew he was ok).

Did you get Eva signed up for a hill climb yet? You gotta do it!

Feb 8, 2009, 1:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home