Wednesday, November 05, 2008



Sorry for another HEAVY post...

FINALLY the drama is over and the honeymoon begins….history was made in America yesterday and as much crap that is said about America and its leaders and people isn’t it great to see people pull through in the end and make there own decision! There are a few things I noticed about the voting process that I would like to point out.

1) The voting went smooth except for one BIG problem, when you first activate the voting machine you get a screen that says something to the effect of “vote, Democratic party or Republican party” Yes it was confusing and if you did not read clearly you would end up casting an all party vote…I thought that was very conspicuous, not just that it seemed like a trap but who in there right mind votes straight party anymore??? (Well I can name two people and one of them is Sean Hannity)

2) I shake my head every year we have these elections, especially presidential elections. Who started, and why do we still use, this Electoral College crap? It might as well be put to the BCS committee to find our nation a president, I don’t agree with it at all and I think it is way beyond fair. No, it would not have changed yesterday’s election but it would at least let ALL of us feel like our vote counts for something other then a stat for the newspapers. Lets scratch the whole thing and go back to individual votes, CNN can wait a couple days to get there election results story.

3) I wonder if we will EVER get another president like Abraham Lincoln or George Washington(a). Our constitution needed a lot of help from great men like these in the beginning but it seems that perhaps now we need that kind of leadership and character, hind sight is 20/20 but now we seem to be in somewhat critical condition as a standard to the world for free government and as a standard to the world for the land we represent.



……At least we received our first snow today!


(a) If I remember right Washington wasn’t anything more then a War hero before his presidency and Lincoln, aside from his amazing strength of character had more personal problems then Bill Clinton….I guess those aren’t presidential qualities anymore these days?

3 Comments:

Blogger leslie said...

where did #4 go? i wanted to say that i agreed.... very good point!

Nov 7, 2008, 8:33:00 AM  
Blogger Deven and Eva said...

#4 was deleted due to a conflict of interest.

Nov 7, 2008, 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I am going to have defend the founding fathers on your #2 statement. We grew up(or at least I did) being taught that that democracy is a good thing and that the U.S. is a democracy. The United States is a republic for good reason. The founding fathers' foresight enabled them to prevent the "mob-like" consequences that result from a democracy.

Democracy promotes collectivism which the founders objected to. The founders believed in individualism and instituted a republic in order to protect the minority from the majority.

One of best examples of this was the recent republican primary. In the states that primary electorate system set up Romney won over McCain. Part of it was because the electorate delegates knew that McCain doesn't really compare to Romney. However in the states that had a "winner take all" democracy style primary McCain won.

I see your point that you want to feel that your counts but you have got to realize it was wisdom of the founders to institute a republic.

Nov 9, 2008, 9:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home